Taboos and Transgressions: Stories of Wrongdoings
For this anthology, Madville Publishing is looking for stories about breaking taboos, about transgressions and wrongdoings. Tell us stories of breaking rules. Those rules can be personal or formed by family expectations. They can be societal, cultural, legal, religious or even writerly.
The consequences can be mean and terrible or uplifting and empowering. Stories about breaking taboos take all directions, and that’s what we want to read.
Editors Luanne Smith, Kerry Beth Neville and Devi Laskar want to see your characters behaving badly, for whatever reasons. We’re working with Madville Publishing, and we have writer, Maurice Carlos Ruffin, selecting a winning story and runner-up for cash prizes.
Important points to consider:
- We are interested in believable dialogue. We love dialect and regionalisms, but there is an art to writing them well, and we will judge poorly written dialect and slang harshly.
- We’re looking for a sense of time and place, so be careful of anachronisms.
- While we want to see character development, we still want a story. Give us a beginning, a middle, and especially, an end.
- Grammar and mechanics count. Please proofread.
Submission Deadline: August 1, 2020
- Submissions are open April 1 – August 1, 2020.
- A reading fee of $9 must be paid at the time of submission.
- All submissions must be in English.
- We accept previously published fiction and nonfiction as long as the author discloses the publication history of the work in the cover letter accompanying the submission.
- We accept simultaneous submissions, but please notify Madville immediately if the story is accepted elsewhere and you wish to withdraw it from consideration. There will be no refunds of the reading fees.
- Writers may submit more than one story, but each must be submitted separately.
- We hope to announce the stories we’ve selected by December 1, and publish the antholoby by April, 2021.
- Short stories, whether fiction or nonfiction, should have a total word count of no more than 5,000 words.
- Please include page numbers.
- Please double-space and use a 12pt. font.
- Do not include an acknowledgments page.
- Submissions will be judged blind. Please remove any identifying information from the submission.
- Submit as a .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .txt file format.
- No revisions will be accepted once the submission is uploaded.
- All authors chosen for the anthology will receive two free copies of the book.
There is a $9 reading fee.
Submission Deadline: August 1, 2020.