Being Home: An Essay Anthology
Being Home is about the spirit of place, the juncture of memory and emotions. It is different for everyone; it is different for members of the same family, and it most likely has nothing to do with where you were born or grew up. We’re looking for essays about Being Home where setting becomes a character, where time becomes the antagonist, and where we make our most important discoveries. We are NOT looking for any quarantine, Stay in Place, Covid-19 essays, though this event might be a motivation, it should not be a presence in the essay.
We’re looking for excellent writing. That’s it.
- Submissions are open May 1 – August 1, 2020.
- A reading fee of $5 must be paid at the time of submission.
- All submissions must be in English.
- We accept previously published essays as long as the author discloses the publication history of the work in the cover letter accompanying the submission.
- We accept simultaneous submissions, but please notify Madville immediately if the essay is accepted elsewhere and you wish to withdraw it from consideration. There will be no refunds of the reading fees.
- Writers may submit more than one essay, but each must be submitted separately.
- Submissions should be blind. The author’s name and contact information should not appear anywhere on the document you submit.
- Use 12 point, Times New Roman, double-spaced.
- 5000 word maximum.
- Cash prizes for the two essays the editors like best. $200 for first prize, and $100 for second.
Submission Deadline August 1, 2020